The Pure Stock Co
1 Nov 2021
A lovely versatile autumnal soup that can be dressed up or down according to your taste or the occasion. This recipe shows you the basic method of how to make a parsnip soup with a simple garnish of crispy bacon & parsley. Blended to a smooth velvety consistency with a splash of cream it is the perfect, indulgent dinner party starter. For a vegetarian option make with vegetable stock and garnish with a sprinkle of cumin powder.
- 4 Parsnips
- 1 Onion
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 l (2 x 500ml) Chicken Stock
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 50 g Streaky Bacon
- 30 g Unsalted Butter
- Salt & Pepper
- Melt the butter gently and cook the onion (sliced) without any colour until soft.
- Add the garlic (sliced) and parsnip (peeled and diced) and stir into the onion for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock (pre-melted) and simmer gently until the parsnip is soft.
- In the meantime, fry the bacon (finely chopped) until crispy and put to one side.
- Season the soup lightly before carefully transferring to a jug blender, adding a little water if required. (A hand blender will work, but it won’t be as smooth.)
- Once blended transfer back to a clean pan to warm through, add the double cream and finish seasoning.
- Serve garnished with crispy bacon and parsley.
- Tip: Use white pepper instead of black pepper when seasoning.
View all Recipes