The Pure Stock Co
4 Apr 2022
A classic French potato dish - thinly sliced with onions and slow-cooked in Pure Chicken Stock a refreshing change from the everyday potato choice! This is an accompaniment to your main dish. Maris Piper, King Edward or Desiree potatoes work best for this dish. Pure Chicken Stock can be replaced with Pure Veggie Stock for a vegetarian version.
- 1 kg Potatoes
- 3 Medium White Onions
- 500 ml Pure Chicken Stock
- 40 g Butter
- salt and black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180’C and butter an 8” oven proof dish.
- Defrost the stock in a pan over a gentle heat.
- Sweat the onion in 10g of butter until soft, but with no colour.
- Lightly season the dish and place a layer of sliced potato, overlapping slightly as you go. (scalloping)
- Add a layer of the cooked onion.
- Keep alternating layers of potato and onion, lightly seasoning each layer as you go, until you reach the brim of the dish.
- Ensure the final (top) layer of potato overlaps as tightly as possible. Pour over the stock until it can just be seen under the top layer of potato. Dot with the remaining butter and place into the oven.
- During the cooking process push the potato down with a spatula every so often to stop the top layer burning.
- When cooked the top layer should be crisp, but the potato beneath should be soft when tested with a knife. You can always turn the oven up at the end to get a bit of colour if needed.
View all Recipes