The Pure Stock Co
28 Sep 2021
The Pure Stock Co has developed this recipe in collaboration with Veysey's Butchers in Cullompton to provide an alternative filling for your tacos, using a highly underrated and versatile cut of beef. The combination of coating the meat in a lightly spiced rub and slow cooking in pure beef stock creates an amazingly tasty beef filling. Load your taco and go! (Serves 4 to 6)
- 800 g Grass-fed Shin of Beef
- 500 ml Pure Beef Stock
- 400 g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Medium Onions diced
- 1 Whole Head of Garlic crushed
- 150 ml Orange Juice
- 2 lime (juice)
For the rub
- 3 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp All Spice
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- Mix all the spices and herbs together. Season the beef shin with salt & pepper and then dredge them in the spice mix.
- Put a pan a high heat with a good splash of oil and sear the shin in the pan until a good colour is achieved on both sides and all the meat is browned.
- Remove the meat and place to one side. Add the onions to the pan, lower the heat and soften with a little colour.
- Add the meat back into the pan with the onions then add all the other ingredients.
- Bring the dish up to the boil cover with a lid and simmer gently for up to 4 hrs or until the meat is tender.
- Once tender, carefully remove the meat from the pan. At this point start to reduce the sauce in the pan.
- Carefully shred the meat, removing any fat and sinew. Add the meat back into the reduced sauce (thick enough to coat the meat).
- Now you are ready to fill those tacos! Tip: Any leftover meat can be kept chilled for up to 3 days and added to pasta for another tasty meal.
View all Recipes