The White Hart, Modbury
27 Apr 2022
This recipe was provided by Chris Simon, Owner and Head Chef of The White Hart Hotel in Modbury
- 12 Fresh Devon Scallops
- 50 g Hayes meadow sliced pork & fennel salami
- 80 g Washed watercress
- 200 g Wild garlic
- 500 ml Bell & Loxton cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 3 large eggs yolks
- 25 ml Heron Valley apple cider vinegar
- 50 g Unsalted butter
- 1/4 Lemon wedge
- 2 tbsp Fresh chevril
- Sea salt
- Place scallops on a cloth to remove any moisture, this will create a better sear in the pan.
- Wash and roughly chop the will garlic. Pat dry and place in a saucepan with the oil and bring to 70 degrees using a thermometer. Carefully put the oil and garlic in a blender and blend smooth. Pass through a fine sieve and allow to cool.
- Whisk egg yolks and apple cider vinegar in a bowl until combined and very slowly add the wild garlic oil whilst continuously whisking until thick like mayonnaise. This can be made well in advance and will keep for 4 days in the fridge (Also makes a great salad dressing or dip with chips!)
- Heat a frying pan up on a medium high heat with a little rapeseed oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Season your scallops with salt. Once the pan is hot add the scallops to the pan. Do not shake the pan. Once you have a golden crust flip the scallops and add the butter and squeeze in the lemon wedge. Take off the heat and allow to finish in the pan (about 30 seconds). Remove scallops from the pan onto a cloth to rest.
- To serve put watercress in the middle of the plate, place the scallops around and spoon a dot of wild garlic emulsion next to each.
- Add slices of salami in between each scallop and garnish with picked chervil.
View all Recipes