Atlantic Spirit Gin
28 Apr 2021
This recipe was provided by Atlantic Spirit Gin. Clotted cream is an indulgent and beautiful delicacy from the west country. It helps to make this a deliciously light and tasty cake. Inspired by a recipe from Delicious magazine. The Lundy gin is distilled using Lemon balm, thyme, gorse flowers and also rosemary, which is why we use this gin because it is perfect in the drizzle.
- 2 Large Free Range Eggs
- 225 g Caster Sugar
- 227 g Tub of Clotted Cream
- 2 Lemons, grated zest
- 215 g Self-Raising Flour, sifted
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice (keep the rest for the drizzle)
- Remaining Lemon Juice
- 50 ml Atlantic Spirit Lundy gin (depending on how ginny you like it)
- 1 Fresh Rosemary Sprig (plus extra to garnish)
- 5 tbsp Granulated Sugar (be generous)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Lightly oil & line a 1 litre loaf tin. Use an electric hand mixer to whisk the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl until pale, thick and almost doubled in size.
- Gently beat in the clotted cream with the lemon zest and 2tsp juice until smooth, then fold in the flour with a pinch of salt. Pour into the prepared tin, then bake for 60-70 minutes until a skewer pushed into the middle comes out clean. (After 30 mins cover with foil if browning too quickly)
- To make the drizzle. Put all the juices (apart from the gin) with the rosemary in a small pan and heat gently until the mixture bubbles. Leave to cool for 2 minutes, then add the sugar. Stir.
- Remove cake from the oven and pierce it all over with a metal skewer, don’t be shy!
- Add Gin to drizzle mix and stir. Slowly pour over half the hot drizzle while cake is still in the tin, letting it sink in. After a couple of minutes turn out onto a rack to cool.
- When cooled make holes with a skewer on the underside, then slowly pour over the remaining drizzle.
- Finally sprinkle with a little sugar and some fresh rosemary.
View all Recipes